Friday, January 7, 2011

Ode to 2010

2010 was an incredible year. Some memories were captured and blogged about, some were not. This post may be a little long, but I want to summarize the wonderful events that made up 2010 for Tyler and I before we dive into the adventures awaiting in 2011.

January
Tyler and I drove back to Provo with Chelsea and Edwin from our Christmas break together . We started a new semester and enjoyed taking Stats together. We started talking very seriously about the idea of marriage and designed my ring at the very end of the month.

February
We took a weekend trip up to Spokane with Taylor and Martha for Valentine's Day and Mama Southwick's birthday. Little did I know Tyler had the ring, and he proposed on February 13th in Riverfront Park.

March
Colter was born. School, making wedding plans, finding an apartment, and trying on LOTS of dresses. My mom came down and we decided on a final dress design and worked out some more little wedding plans.


April
Finals and graduation for me. Taking engagement pictures (lots of pictures...) and designing a wedding announcement with my incredible sister-in-law, Leah. Printing announcements and gathering addresses. I moved into our new apartment at the end of the semester when my contract at Brownstone ended.

May
I drove up to Spokane a little earlier than planned with Mama Southwick at the very beginning of the month to help with wedding stuff. Tyler stayed in Provo for work until the week of the wedding. May 14th came, and it was the most perfect and beautiful day. The wedding was beautiful and we loved seeing so many family and friends. Best day ever! We flew to Hawaii May 15th and thoroughly enjoyed our 9 day stay on Oahu. We flew back to Spokane for our car and made our way back to Provo in time for a little Open House at Nielsen's Grove on the 29th. Tyler went back to work at BYU and I started working as a Speech Assistant for an intensive summer therapy program using palatometry. I loved it.

June
June was spent settling into our apartment. Lots of unpacking, trips to Target, playing board games together, walks, exploring, and bike rides. We tried to help Jason and Leah as they packed up to move to Florida, though we were very sad to see them go. We casually started looking at houses with our Realtor, SuAnne Hoffman, whom we absolutely loved.
July
We Drove to Menan for a large Miller family reunion. Afterward, my family headed up to Yellowstone for camping and exploring. Tyler and I came back and participated in The World's Largest Water Balloon Fight at BYU. Just for coming, they gave us free T-Shirts, a sub sandwich, Creamery ice cream, and water bottles. The summer therapy program ended and I began my search for a new job. We found a few short sale homes we liked and submitted offers, hoping for the best. Our little house was approved surprisingly fast and we waited to work out details for closing.
August
I had quite a few interviews for Speech Assistant positions, but all went to candidates with more experience. With the offer already accepted for the little Provo house, and we spent most of the month just waiting to hear when the current owner would be out and we would be able to move in. Our Stubbs contract was due to expire at the end of August, and we just hoped there would be a smooth transition from apartment to home. By midnight of Tuesday the 31st, we had everything packed, loaded into a Uhaul and the apartment cleaned; still unsure when we would be able to unload our things.
September
A big month. We stayed at Taylor and Martha's while we waited for keys and permission to move in. We signed everything Wednesday, the 1st, and gave them our down payment. On Friday we were still waiting for the legalities to process and for the go ahead to move in. We were really anxious because if the title wasn't recorded by Friday, we wouldn't be able to move in until at least the next Tuesday because of Labor day weekend. And we weren't fans of paying for the Uhaul every day it sat outside Taylor and Martha's when "our house" was sitting empty, just waiting. We got the call Friday afternoon and we were literally unloading the truck 10 minutes later. Tyler even used his flirtatious skills to get the water, gas and electricity on before the weekend came ;) I had tried, but everyone told me that nothing could be turned on until the next week. We moved in and unpacked. We had suspicions of pregnancy early in the month, and they were finally confirmed early one morning. We were both so excited! The rest of the month was spent repairing holes in the walls, settling in, and learning how to deal with pregnancy.

October
Biggest highlights were our trip to Chicago, and replacing the moldy carport. The carport looked like it was bound to cave any day and we were so happy to have it fixed. Tyler put a lot of hours into cleaning out the back yard, which was loaded with junk left by previous owners. October was also our first ultrasound when we found out little babe was definitely alive.

November
Scott and Jana came to Utah to celebrate Thanksgiving which gave us, Taylor and Martha the chance to make the Thanksgiving feast. It was so delightful and wonderful. (Sorry Martha, I stole your picture when I realized I didn't have any!)

December
Little Nelli was born and we were so happy to finally meet her. We were especially happy that she came before Tyler and I flew to Spokane for two weeks of holiday. Christmas was so wonderful. We spent about a week total at each the Southwick's and Miller's, though this was the year to spend the actual Christmas day and Christmas Eve with the Millers, but we still managed to run out to Scott and Jana's for Christmas afternoon :)

Well, 2010 was an incredible year and had more changes and exciting events than I could have anticipated. Tyler and I are so happy about all the changes and so excited for this next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment